CATHEDRAL VILLAGE: Built January 2021 – September 2022
Owner – Related Northwest
Architect – MWA Architects 4
Contractor – LMC Construction
110 units of affordable housing
4 stories of wood framing over 1 level of Partial concrete basement.
Located at 6520 N. Salem Ave in Portland, OR
- Historical use of site was linked to adjacent lumber mill in the 1920s.
- Site contained significant amounts of buried wood and debris from the adjacent mill.
- Decaying buried wood was creating excess levels of methane gas and had to be removed from the entire site.
- Required removal of hazardous soil and existing structures.
- Provided extensive excavation of the majority of the site to remove buried wood debris down to depths of 10 feet.
- Excavation subcontractor worked closely with environmental consultant to remove only what was deemed necessary to reduce costs and impact to schedule, as well as to reduce the amount of contaminated material removed from the site.
- Contractor re-phased the construction site and process to accommodate the buried wood removal concurrent with constructing the building to avoid additional schedule impact.
- Completion of 110 affordable housing units of various sizes including Studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom units.